Restaurants with Gluten Free
Menus Make Eating Out Fun Again
Gluten Free Menus are available at more and more restaurants. So if you have any sort of gluten sensitivity or wheat allergy you’re in luck.
I’ve listed some of these restaurants below, with links to their menus if they are posted online. Note: links may work some times and not other times. I suppose it could be when they are updating them, so keep trying!
Gluten free menus of some restaurants merely list the items that don’t have gluten. Others, like Olive Garden, go out of their way to make gluten free dining possible by making dishes gluten free that usually contain wheat. Like serving gluten free pasta and/or pizza. I’ve listed these in bold as places you may want to try.
About Gluten Free Side Dishes
I feel best when I have some kind of starch dish with my meal, so I’m happiest when restaurants have at least one of these listed on their gluten free menus, whether it’s potatoes, rice, or some kind of pasta. When restaurants' gluten free menus only remove the items containing gluten–ending up with just salads, vegetables and protein dishes–I’m really bummed–and remain hungry!
So in case this is true for you too, along with each listing I’ve included a note as to what starchy side dishes are listed as gluten free.
SIDEBAR: Some restaurants haven’t posted their gluten free menus, or items like pizza, even though they have them. If you like to plan ahead you can call them and ask about it–I’ve included their phone number and a link to their home page.
Chain Restaurants With Gluten Free Menus
Some of these chains are nationwide, while some are just in certain areas or states. When that’s the case, the states or regions are listed.
Where possible I’ve linked directly to the gluten free menus. They will open a new window. Some menus are pdfs that you have to download, (and may not open on a Mac,) so you may have to hunt for the link on their site. And a few don’t have their menu posted, but you can call them and ask if you have questions.
- Austin Grill is Tex-Mex. Their chips are gfree, and they serve corn quesadillas. They also have a baked potato, griddle potatoes and cilantro rice that are gfree... Locations in DC, Maryland, and Virginia
- Bertucci’s Italian serves gfree red-skinned mashed potatoes, but if you also can’t eat dairy, these may not work for you. Be sure to ask if they contain milk... Locations on East Coast
- Biaggi’s Ristorante Italiano Biaggi’s has one of the best gluten free menus. They serve both gfree pasta AND gluten free pizza! They also have a wide choice of gfree sauces... Locations are mostly in the Midwest, but spreading out. In the west they’re in Utah and Colorado, and in the east they’re in New York and North Carolina.
- Bonefish Grill The posted gf menu for Bonefish Grill shows no sign of any kind of g-free starch side-dishes. No potatoes or rice. Their house-made chips and French fries must share a fryer with gluten containing items. But they do have a flourless macadamia nut brownie... Most locations are in the East and Midwest, with a few in the western states. Note: The name seems odd until you know that a bonefish is a type of fish.
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill The only starch choice is garlic mashed potatoes. If dairy is a problem for you be sure to ask if milk or butter, or cream has been added... Locations in South, Central, and Eastern states, and West to Nevada.
- Charlie Brown’s Steakhouse They have baked and mashed potatoes... Locations in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania
- Cheeseburger in Paradise The French Fries are g-free... Locations: East Coast, Midwest
- Claim Jumper Full range of foods: steaks and chicken, seafood, salads. They serve a giant stuffed potato, so it may be possible to get a baked potato... Locations: Western states, Illinois and Wisconsin
- First Watch “Where Breakfast People Breakfast” Also serving brunch and lunch. First Watch encourages you to bring your own bread, but not to send it to the kitchen for toasting. Gfree potatoes available... Locations: Arizona, Florida, Midwest and East Coast
- Fleming’s Steakhouse Fleming’s has several potato dishes to choose from...Locations in many states.
- Fresh City This looks great, but I don’t have them in my area. If you’ve tried Fresh City, please share your opinion! They have fresh natural meat or vegetarian stir frys, and burritos in a bowl. Option of brown or jasmine rice. Note that some sauces marked gluten free have modified food starch, but this could be made from corn, which is gluten free... Locations: Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Virginia
- Legal Seafoods The crispy calamari appetizer is made with chickpea flour, as are the crispy scallops and shrimp, and the fish sticks on the children’s menu. Salads may include gfree croutons. They have g-free jasmine or brown rice, and baked potatoes. They also have some sort of gluten free “crumbs” for baked fish and stuffed lobster, but the menu doesn’t say what they’re made of. Top it off with a sugar free Belgian Chocolate Mousse Parfait if you have any room... Locations: East Coast
- Maggianos’s Little Italy has a GFree Menu, but it’s not posted online. Phone: 1-800-983-4637 ... Locations in many states.
- Olive Garden Italian Restaurant Olive Garden serves gluten free penne pasta!
It’s listed for a specific dish, but you could ask to substitute it in any pasta dish. They also serve Tuscan potatoes, but they’re not listed on their gluten free menu. I would ask if they could be cooked in a clean pan if the grill is the problem... Locations in most states and some provinces.
- On The Border You can download allergen info from this page. Mexican: chips NOT gluten free, but corn tortillas and Mexican rice are. But they say to talk to the manager because ingredients vary from time to time and by location, depending on their supplier Locations: nationwide and international.
- Outback Steakhouse Baked, mashed, and sweet potatoes are gfree, but rice and fries aren’t. They used to make a gfree bloomin' onion but it looks like they discontinued it. For dessert, they offer a flourless pecan brownie... Locations nationwide.
- P F Chang’s Gluten Free items include: Singapore rice noodles, fried rice, various entrées made with wheat free soy sauce, and gfree marinades. Be sure to ask for gluten free soy sauce if you want to add some, the stuff on the table contains wheat. Desserts include a flourless chocolate “dome”... Locations nationwide.
- Ted’s Montana Grill Fresh-cut fries, mashed, baked, and sweet potatoes... Locations: East Coast, Midwest, and as far west as Colorado and Montana
- Uno Chicago Gluten Free Pizza, Redbridge Gluten Free Beer, brown rice, mashed and baked potatoes, and an extensive GFree menu. Locations in many states.
- Wildfire Restaurant GFree Pizza and GFree burger buns! Known for Steaks, Chops, and Seafood. They also serve Redbridge Gluten free beer, and flourless chocolate cake... Locations: mostly in Chicago and Northern Illinois. But they are also in Atlanta, McLean VA, and Eden Prairie MN.
Read some GFree Menu reviews contributed by other visitors, and help me make this a great guide by sharing your favorite!
Find out about gluten free restaurants that not only have gluten free menus, but have a completely gluten free kitchen. These serve nothing containing gluten.
Fast Food Restaurants with Gluten Free Menus
Gluten free fast food comes in handy on road trips. If you have any suggestions please tell us here.
- Wendy’s Wendy’s is always my first choice when I’m on a road trip and fast food is my only option. Like their old fries, Wendy's new fresh-cut fries aren’t gluten free (Bummer) since they are cooked in oil shared with gluten containing items. But if you’re like me and need to have some kind of starch with your meal, they do have baked potatoes! That works for me...
- Starbucks: Eating gluten free Starbucks is limited to fruit and nut snacks, cookies, and granola that is said to be gluten free. I imagine, but I haven't checked, that they use gluten free oats, so if you are sensitive to oats check first...Not as good as the cake they had, but due to cutbacks it's better than nothing in a pinch.
- Arby’s Although Arby's has a gluten free list, their fries and potato cakes aren’t listed as gluten free because they are fried in oil shared with gluten containing items. Since I need that side starch it wouldn’t be my first choice of a place to go!
- McDonald’s: Eating gluten free at Mcdonalds isn't really easy since they don’t actually have a gluten free menu. They have all the ingredients for each item posted, including all the condiments, but you have to check each item. Guess you have to really love it. 1-800-244-6227
Gluten Free Pizza!
You don’t have to find restaurants with gluten free menus to find GFree pizza. Click here to find out where to get pizza.
Local Restaurants with Gluten Free Menus
There are gazillions of local restaurants that now have gluten free menus. Instead of trying to list them, I want to invite you to share your favorites.
Here’s one I found out about that looks really good, and I will try the next time I’m in near one...
True Food Kitchen: Located in Scottsdale, Arizona, this restaurant is a collaboration between Dr. Andrew Weil and Fox Restaurant Concepts. Most of their pastas are gluten free, and they have many other gluten free items. 602-774-3488
Update: True Food Kitchen has added several locations. Read a review of True Food Kitchen, Newport Beach CA, here.
Places That have Discontinued Gluten Free Items
Starbucks introduced a gfree cake in mid 2009, but discontinued it before the end of the year. It’s really too bad, but they are now offering some gluten free snacks.
Outback Steakhouse still has their gluten free menu, but they used to offer a gluten free bloomin’ onion. Not that I will miss this, but I may have tried it if I had known about it!
I think maybe this should remind us that we really need to let everyone know these options exist. Not only to help us out, but it will encourage restaurants to continue to offer and expand their gluten free menus.
Click here to share a favorite gluten-free menu, and read reviews contributed by other visitors.
Return from Gluten Free Menus to Restaurants Serving Gluten Free Food
Return to Gluten Free Around The World Home
© 2009-2013 Gluten-Free-Around-The-World.com